Thursday, August 07, 2008

A prayer for the Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost
(Matthew 14:22-33)

Dark nights, turbulent seas, fearful frettings separate me from You who loves me steadfastly.

Daylight and calm seas are distant memories that are difficult to call up.

My sea legs are weak and they tremble before ever-present danger and they do me in.

O Sailor Magnificent, help me to step out in faith even when my heart beats too fast because I am afraid.

O Sailor Divine, mark me with Your seal and send me out to do Your bidding, even if it is in a dinghy taking on water.

Dispatch to me those that would help me mend my nets so that the catch will bear much bounty and be pleasing. Let none go uncaught.

When my soul doubts let me cast out those doubts , O Lord, and let them sink away, because you truly are my God, the One who loves me.