Monday, August 18, 2008

Gwatney Internet funeral

I just got through watching Bill Gwatney's funeral on a livecast.

The music was warm and comforting, the words were stoic and humorous and life-affirming.

Governor Bebee spoke, after being introduced by the minister as Governor Huckabee (the former REPUBLICAN governor). It was quite evident how fond of Bill he was.

President Clinton spoke about gratitude. I've been thinking about that. There are some phone calls I need to make and letters I need to write.

His brother, Rusty, who I knew, spoke and I could see that it was very difficult for him.

He quoted from this song:



Walk along the river, sweet lullaby, it just keeps on flowing,
It don"t worry bout where its going, no, no.
Don"t fly, mister blue bird, I'm just walking down the road,
Early morning sunshine tell me all I need to know

Chorus
You're my blue sky, you're my sunny day.
Lord, you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way,
Turn your love my way, yeah.

Good old Sunday morning, bells are ringing everywhere.
Goin to Carolina, it wont be long and Ill be there


Songs I remember were: Amazing Grace (solo), How Great Thou Art, Eagle's Wings, In the Bulb There is a Flower(words below)

Rest in Peace, Bill and say hi to Mom for me.



In the bulb there is a flower,

In the seed, an apple tree

In cocoons, a hidden promise,

Butterflies will soon be free!

In the cold and snow of winter,

There's a spring that waits to be,

Unrevealed until it's season,

Something God alone can see.

There's a song in every silence,

Seeking word and melody,

There's a dawn in every darkness,

Bringing hope to you and me.

From the past will come the future,

What it holds a mystery,

Unrevealed until its season

Something God alone can see.

In our end is our beginning,

In our time, infinity,

In our doubt, there is believing,

In our Life, eternity.

In our death, a resurrection,

At the last a victory,

Unrevealed until its season

Something God alone can see.