Monday, August 25, 2008

Adventures in Cooking #2

This week's Adventure in Cooking is the result of a suggestion from my sister. Her late husband, Larry, made darn good Lasagna and I'm going to try it to re-create it. This may not occur until later in the week, though.

It was suggested by someone that I take pictures of the preparation and the end result. The end result maybe. You must remember that this series is called Adventures in Cooking because I'm not a great cook and taking pictures during the preparation would certainly put my brain on overload. If I remember, I will try to take one of the finished product.

My late brother-in-law got this recipe from a cookbook and made his own modifications.

Lasagna

1 lb. ground beef or or pork or Italian sausage (we prefer hamburger. Larry used a little more than 16 oz.)
½ c. chopped onion
1 clove of garlic minced
1 t salt
½ t pepper
1 can tomatoes cut up (we used Italian Tomatoes)
8 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
2 t dried basil
8 oz lasagna noodles
1 T cooking oil
2 eggs
2½ cups Cottage Cheese or Ricotta (we preferred the Cottage Cheese)
¾ cup Parmesan or Romano Cheese (We used the fresh Parmesan instead of Kraft. It made a difference}
2 T. Parsley Flakes
6 oz. Mozzarella Cheese
(1 t. Oregano)

Although the recipe Larry used didn't call for Oregano, it along with Fennel is in a later version of that cookbook. I love Oregano, so I will add it to this.

1.Cook meat in medium saucepan with onions and garlic

2.Still in undrained tomato sauce, paste and the basil and oregano


3.Meanwhile cook the noodles per package instructions adding salt and oil.


4.Drain and rinse noodles


5.Beat eggs, add cottage cheese, ½ c of parmesan cheese, salt and pepper


6.Layer ½ noodles in rectangular baking pan


7.Spread with cottage cheese filling


8.Add ½ Mozzarella cheese


9.Add ½ meat sauce


10.Repeat steps (6-9) and then sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese


11.Bake in 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes


12.If making ahead put in fridge and then cook for 45 minutes.



I love Lasagna, particularly if it is made well and is one cohesive unit. BUT the best part of Lasagna is heating it up the next day, and the next. Ummmm, yummy.

I'll let you know when this adventure is complete