Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The times they are a changin'

Really, could you tell me when it became okay to use curse words in front of people you don't know, particularly children and loudly at that.

Granddaughter and I arrived at the library 5 minutes early this morning. We didn't realize it was early until we got out of the car and tried the door. There were two men there also waiting for the library to open.

One gentleman was telling another gentleman how Caterpillar in Bloomington was trying to get ahold of him to offer him a $75000 job. Blah blah blah. In this conversation, words like (Should I spell them out or what?) the F word and the B word and the word that means defecation and on and on and on.

Mind you there is a grandmother (me) and a 2 and half year old standing not 5 feet from this guy as he loudly pontificates on his greatness spiced up with curse words.

I cuss. I use all those words and more from time to time. I try really hard not to do it front of my granddaughter and I never, ever use that kind of language in front of people I don't know and children.

When did this become acceptable?