Tuesday, November 20, 2007

C is for Cookie

Sweeping the Clouds Away


Published: November 18, 2007
NYT

Sunny days! The earliest episodes of “Sesame Street” are available on digital video! Break out some Keebler products, fire up the DVD player and prepare for the exquisite pleasure-pain of top-shelf nostalgia.

Just don’t bring the children. According to an earnest warning on Volumes 1 and 2, “Sesame Street: Old School” is adults-only: “These early ‘Sesame Street’ episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child.”
...
Which brought Parente to a feature of “Sesame Street” that had not been reconstructed: the chronically mood-disordered Oscar the Grouch. On the first episode, Oscar seems irredeemably miserable — hypersensitive, sarcastic, misanthropic. (Bert, too, is described as grouchy; none of the characters, in fact, is especially sunshiney except maybe Ernie, who also seems slow.) “We might not be able to create a character like Oscar now,” she said.

...

Someone is kidding right? I watched Sesame Street and The Electric Company with my kids in the way back machine. It was genius. I've tried watching the current Sesame Street and come away so unimpressed. I thought it was my age but I must have been wrong.

We all loved Oscar's grouchiness and Bert and Ernie's innocence. And we loved that we could see Mr. Snuffasnuffsnuffa whatever and the rest of the world couldn't. We loved to gobble our cookies with the Cookie Monster singing "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me. C is for Cookie that's good enough for me, C is for cookie that's good enough for me. Cause Cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C.

sigh

You can read the rest of this article here