Monday, April 23, 2007

Good morning and good week all

I am pleased with my progress towards better blood sugars and also losing weight.

Although I haven't reached my fasting blood sugar goal yet I have reached a goal of sorts.

You have to understand it is difficult to get definitive information on what your numbers should be. They always say talk to your doctor. There is also the confusion for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics. Type 2 should never have been named Type 2 Diabetics. The two are NOT the same thing.

However, I know that for normal (non type 2 diaberics) people their fasting blood sugar should be below 120 which I reached today for the first time. My understanding is that for diabetics it should be below 100.

I am following (sort of) a 1500 calorie diet. I find it extremely difficult to be quite honest. Actually, I am following the number of carbs in that diet. I generally know that I can have:

Breakfast 1 Starch, 1 Fruit, 1 c. skim milk, 1 fat (42 carbs)

Snack 1 fruit (15 carbs)

Lunch 2 Starch, 1 Fruit, 1 Vegetable, 2 Meat, 1 Fat (50 carbs)

PM Snack 1 Starch (15 carbs)

Dinner 3 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 3 Meat, 2 Fat (50 carbs)

Bedtime Snack 1 Starch, 1 Meat (15 carbs)



Since I don't really get up that early I generally don't get that morning snack in.

This morning for breakfast I had corn flakes and skim milk. Having cereal every morning helps with my cholesterol, too.

A good site to learn more about diabetes is: http://www.icsdna.com/urwhatueat/scoophome.html