Sunday, May 14, 2006


Happy Mother's Day to my daughter---one of my heroes.


She has turned out to be one of the most wonderful mothers I've ever known, seriously. She takes this parenting thing seriously. You only have to be around Laynie for a short time to know that this is a child with wonderful parents... she is confident and easy going.

I didn't realize how seriously she took early literacy until we were in the car the other day and to entertain Laynie my daughter recited the book, Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton (wonderful book by the way). This told me that she's read it enough times to memorize it herself. When I was there one night, Laynie woke up. I changed her and sat down on the couch with her. She wiggled out of my hold down to the floor and crawled to her pile of books and brought me back a book to read. Here we are at midnight reading, Eight Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, with Laynie pointing to each monkey wanting me to count them.

They take her nutrition seriously. She has never had ANY sweets. She was shocked at her birthday cake... it was cute. They don't cook much because their schedules are crazy but the food they buy for Laynie---they buy canned green beans with no added salt... fruit in light syrup and they still rinse it.

I could go on and on...

My daughter has a very demanding job and she hardly sees Laynie on the weekends but that job is so they can all have a better life and she certainly makes it up on her three days off every week.

So, my Abigail, you are my mother of the year and I love you very much!






This picture of Abbie was taken during the hoopla around the execution of Timothy McVeigh. The picture appeared in the Indianapolis Star. Abbie was a production assistant for the local NBC affiliate. She was beat, can ya tell?