Sunday, January 22, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

My son, my daughter and I went to see Brokeback Mountain yesterday in Terre Haute. Yes, the same town where the station manage refused to show The Book of Daniel.

I give it four stars out of five, but then I'm not really a movie critic. This is the third movie I've been to in a year. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars from me was I thought it was a tad too long.

Although I am not a prude, I am glad this movie didn't have a lot of nudity or graphic sexual scenes. I am glad because the homophobic bigots will not be able to dwell on that part of the movie, they will have to talk about the actual content and story.

This is truly a love story. Two men really without any models of how men can be in love. Two men trying to make due with little snippets of time to express their love. Two men who have another life to lead.

More interesting to me than the movie was who was in attendance. The theater was 80-90 percent full at 4 o'clock. There were what appeared to be young lesbian and gay couples---young hetero couples---Older than me married couples (as my daughter says the white head crowd) --lots of people by themselves of all ages---but more than several older men in the 50 to 80 year range.

When we were leaving, I saw an older gentleman probably in his late 60s, sitting by himself and weeping. I wanted so bad to go and sit by him and give him a hug. I don't know why he was weeping---maybe regrets.